[FoRK] A Nation Deceived: report on acceleration of advancedstudents

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com
Wed Sep 22 10:09:03 PDT 2004

Gross is dead-on about acceleration helping social skills -- the
previously mentioned firstborn was a "Montessori delinquent" before we
left PA.  He had been fine as long as there were older kids to work with
that shared his interests.  As soon as he was in the oldest group, even
with special curricular material, he started acting up and causing
trouble.  Given that his best friend in PA was 3 years older, I'm sure
he would have done well if accelerated.

Apologies for the extended rant -- those were painful, frustrating times
for us as well as our son.  Things have been so much better here that I
feel bad for parents and children without access to similar gifted
schools.

Ken