[FoRK] A Nation Deceived: report on acceleration of advanced students

Ciamac Moallemi ciamac at moallemi.com
Wed Sep 22 13:42:34 PDT 2004

On 22 Sep, 2004, at 9:52 AM, Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Students who are moved ahead tend to be more ambitious, and they earn
> graduate degrees at higher rates than other students.

On a related note, I had a friend who used to work in the admissions
office at MIT. They were fairly careful in analyzing how an admit with
a certain set of characteristics ultimately performed in terms of
metrics like graduation rate, cumulative GPA, etc. For example, it was
somewhat easier for women to get in because, for whatever reason, women
with the same SAT, high school GPA, etc. did better then men on
average. She described the accelerated pool (specifically under 16
male) as having a completely bimodal distribution: either they did very
well or they didn't graduate.