[FoRK] Volte-face

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Sat Sep 25 21:43:42 PDT 2004

Piezoelectric crystals do this.  And give off electricity when
squeezed.  They're in everything these days and what make the scanning
tunneling microscope scan.

There are also a lot of other materials that make directionally oriented
shape changes, most interestingly the polymers that form one kind of
electric "muscle".

There are liquids that become solids under current that are being used
in vehicle shocks and experimental bullet-proof vest uses.

sdw