[FoRK] Volte-face

Russell Turpin deafbox at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 26 07:16:19 PDT 2004

So here's an idea for a book. Most engineering
involving materials, from architecture to
refridgeration, relies on materials that have
"classical" properties, ones that we all learned
about in undergraduate courses in calculus,
chemistry, and mechanical engineering. A
whole host of reference books let's an
engineer choose among alloys, woods, etc.,
depending on tensile strength, Young's
modulus, coefficient of expansion, etc.
J E Gordon's "Structures: Why things don't
fall down" is a great lay introduction to the
structural side of this.

BUT. There is a wide range of applications that
require materials that have weird behavior.
Where is the book on that?? I'd love to read
it. I don't know that anyone has written it yet.