[FoRK] Jon Stewart For President?

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Sun Oct 24 22:48:48 PDT 2004

[If you find this amusing, or even true, please help pass it on. -- Dr.
Ernie]

Dear Fellow Citizen,

When America votes on November 2nd, I ask you to consider supporting
Jon Stewart of The Daily Show for President.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jonstewart

Yes, I realize that may sound absurd. After all:

*    His entire career is based on spinning half-truths into engaging
but pointless stories which advance his image while ridiculing his
targets.

*    He has shown little interest -- and less ability -- in truly
tackling the hard issues of social unity, fiscal responsibility, and
political accountability facing the U.S.

*    In fact, his only real qualification is that he looks good in a
suit, knows how to work a crowd, and can attract money from rich
sponsors.

Hmm. Which means he differs from real politicians how?

By being honest about making things up. By even-handedly highlighting
the hypocrisy and inconsistency of both the Right and the Left. By
openly criticizing the media failing their duty to make the important
interesting. Most of all, by his abiding conviction (carefully hidden
beneath crude humor and self-mockery) that politicians and journalists
should ultimately serve the public interest, not their own.

A vote for Jon is a vote for the politics of common sense, the radical
idea that elected officials – and those who cover them – should be
promoting creative solutions which actually improve choices for all
citizens. Things those of us in the broad middle would probably agree
on, if we could get past the self-serving *#!%$ which passes for
informed debate on our airwaves. Like:

  *    Economic systems which recognize the need for change and private
initiative, yet also the importance of compassion and community

  *    Taxation tailored to the realities of the 21st-century global
marketplace, not the power of special-interest groups

  *    Teachers who are rewarded for helping kids succeed, not merely
conforming to mediocrity

  *    Health care accessible to all Americans, but neither run by the
government nor hostage to the whims of employers

  *    Government that is open and accountable to the needs of the many,
not the few

Sound too good to be true? Why? Aren’t these goals something you, and
most of the people you know, could get behind? Then help Jon send the
message that we’re tired of partisan bickering and content-free
speeches, and we just want leaders who will do their frickin’ job
already!

I realize some of you live in swing states where you probably want to
help elect the lesser of two evils. But if like me you’re in the other
forty, or one of the 100 million Americans who simply never bother, why
not vote for Jon’s vision of democracy? Let’s give him a bigger stick
to beat the drum of reform.

Either way, please get involved. Sign our petition, and forward it to
others. Become part of the so-called “radical middle.” Buy Jon's
best-selling "America the Book" and rediscover democracy be. Write your
editor or broadcaster, and ask why *they* don't have thoughtful yet
entertaining commentary which helps you make better decisions. Learn to
laugh at your own hypocrisy, and cultivate a friendship or two across
the aisle. Vote for politicians who care more about improving the
debate than winning it any cost. Even run for office yourself, if you
think you can do better.

Yeah, this is a joke. But so is much of what passes for serious
politics today.

At least this is funny. Or is it?

http://radicalcentrism.org/jonstewart.html