[FoRK] S.Y.S.T.E.M. - Simple Yet Scaleable

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Nov 1 09:17:37 PST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:38:24 -0400, "Meltsner, Kenneth"
<Kenneth.Meltsner at ca.com> said:
> My understanding, obscured by the snow drifts of time and faulty memory,
> is that HTML *originally* (TBL's first prototypes) was inspired by SGML,

Right - that's my understanding too: the pre-IETF HTML was SGML-inspired
rather than formally defined as an SGML application.

> and that later work by Dave Raggett and others formalized the definition
> of HTML using SGML to describe it properly, unmatched tags and all.

My think that it was Dan Connolly's work on HTML 2.0 through IETF that
was the initial formalization.
I think Dave Raggett was the proponent of the next-gen successor
"HTML-Plus".

James
--
  James Tauber               http://jtauber.com/