[FoRK] apple build numbers

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Nov 1 12:47:12 PST 2004

I asked this on my blog a week ago[1] but still no response so I thought
I'd ask here.

Does anyone know how to parse Apple OS X build numbers? The developer
preview of 10.4 that just got released is build 8A294. The build of
10.3.5 I'm currently running is 7M34.

I've never come across build numbers of that format before and it's got
me intrigued.

The first number is related to the major release. Since the launch of
Mac OS X, the first number of 10.m is m+4

But after that, I can't work out when the following letter increments.
(Or when the final number increments for that matter)

Anyone know or care to speculate?

James

[1] http://jtauber.com/blog/2004/10/23/apple_build_numbers
--