[FoRK] Autoweek's long-term test of the XLR

Rohit Khare khare at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 1 10:08:26 PST 2004

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=100992
2004 Cadillac XLR
End Of The Marking Period, And Cadillac Gets An "A"
  AUTOWEEK Published Date: 10/18/04

Like teachers preparing report cards, we pored over our logbook,
tallied up the track test results, and boiled down all the owners’
opinions to determine if the Cadillac XLR passes muster.

 From its hardtop-convertible operation to its true dual exhaust, we
found very little to detract from the XLR’s luxury-sport ambitions. We
give the car top marks for looks and handling, and though a couple of
owners wrote to us detailing problematic purchasing experiences, the
overwhelming majority of comments were positive.

At the drag strip we found the XLR got quicker with each successive
run, with a best 0-to-60 time of 6.30 seconds, putting it 0.38 second
ahead of both the Lexus SC 430 (Dec. 17, 2001) and the Mercedes-Benz
SL500 (Sept. 23, 2002) in our test file. The XLR reached the
quarter-mile pole in 14.59 seconds, which again compares favorably with
the SC 430 (15.03 seconds) and the SL500 (15.09 seconds).

The SL500 easily matched the XLR through our slalom course, however,
its tauter chassis driving the big two-seat Benz through at 43.7 mph,
making both the Cadillac and the Mercedes six-tenths of a mile per hour
faster than the Lexus. The XLR would no doubt perform better if
equipped with more performance-oriented tires instead of the run-flat
all-season Michelins it wears.

The Caddy takes just 119 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, which not
long ago would have put it in near-supercar territory. That figure
still makes for a superior stopping distance, but the SC 430 bests the
XLR by a foot, while the Benz blows it away, at 113 feet.

Away from the track the XLR makes for a buttery-smooth ride. There is
almost no freeway hop of which to speak, bumps are absorbed with ease
and it is very composed on the expressway. Owners and staffers agree
the Cadillac’s magnetic ride control suspension works well in balancing
a placid, luxurious cruising ability with decent handling prowess.

According to our stopwatch, the power-retracting hardtop takes 26.5
seconds to open and 28.5 to return to its fully closed position. Top
down, even at 80 mph, we felt very little disturbance, and with the top
up, a minimum amount of wind noise leaks into the cabin.

Without a doubt, this car is a head-turner. Its sleek sports car looks
draw attention top up or down. Many owners who wrote to us admitted the
XLR’s looks first drew them to the car.

"I wanted one since I first saw the Evoq at the Los Angeles auto show a
few years ago," wrote one owner. Another, who praised Cadillac for
finally delivering a vehicle attractive to new customers, wrote, "This
is the only car that still turns heads in Beverly Hills."

We appreciate the power express (up and down) windows on both sides of
the car, and we also like that you can turn off the daytime running
lights. There are other touches we could live without, including the
Bulgari-designed key fob and instrument-panel gauges. The name may
imply luxury, but we don’t think it adds much to the XLR’s sense of
elegance. Our only other complaint about the interior: We wouldn’t mind
a little more thigh support in the seat cushions.

Owners and testers alike expressed a hesitation in fully trusting the
keyless access feature, though it is a hoot to start up a car with the
keys still pocketed. One owner reported he had driven off in his own
car with the XLR keys still on him after a dealer test drive, and yet
an employee at the dealership was able to start the XLR.

A couple of owners wrote of troubling initial experiences as well. One
waited months for the XLR he had ordered only to have it show up
requiring immediate attention by the service department to repair its
flywheel. Another owner had his XLR delivered with a crack in the
decklid. Repairing it required an additional four-week stay at the
dealership.

All tallied, most seem to agree the Cadillac XLR more than makes the
grade.

OWNERS SAY...

I have my pick of many fine autos, but I find myself wanting to drive
the XLR more. The Northstar engine is smooth and sufficient, but I
would like to see a V-Series with the Z06 engine. The ride quality is
excellent and is a nice balance between sport and touring. I don’t
think I could have a more pleasurable open-air driving experience
without being totally impractical. Cadillac is finally figuring out how
to build sleek and competitive luxury cars.
Barry Helman, Malibu, Calif.

The sleek silhouette and chiseled lines of the XLR are more pleasing
than the Ferrari we used to own. It also feels more stable and planted
while cornering than our Corvette. It offers enough performance to keep
me entertained and enough luxury to keep me comfortable. While no other
car on the road looks like the XLR, the one thing I really like is that
it’s a solid convertible that doesn’t leak. This is what the Allante
should have been.
Alan Morrison, Key West, Fla.

The Cadillac XLR is exceptionally good-looking and has no problem
attracting plenty of attention. It is one of the flattest cornering
vehicles I have ever driven, but the steering ratio seems a little too
quick for a luxury car. The interior of the XLR is comfortable and
roomy, and there is no cowl shake. It is by far one of the best
interiors to ever come out of Detroit. However, small things like the
wood on the steering wheel and the cheap pebble-grain trim leave me
wondering what the designers were thinking. And the lack of storage
makes the XLR rather impractical as daily transport. Only time, and
perhaps the new Corvette, will tell if our XLR will be considered a
good buy.
Jack Miller, Pittsburgh

I love the fact that XLRs are in short supply and in high demand,
unlike SL500s, which are a dime a dozen in Los Angeles. It is built
well and handles and drives great. I traded my Lexus SC 430 for the XLR
because it has a sports car demeanor the Lexus was missing. I can’t
wait for the V-Series.
Ed Glazer, Los Angeles

STICKER
Owners paid; average: $76,200 to $76,525; $76,362

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 6.30 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.58 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.59 sec @ 97.6 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (first gear): 2.2 sec
40-60 mph (second gear): 3.1 sec
60-80 mph (second and third gear): 3.7 sec

BRAKING
60 mph-0: 119 ft

HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 43.7 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.84 g

INTERIOR NOISE (dBA)
Idle: 50
Full throttle: 82
Steady 60 mph: 67