Linux/UTF-8 [was Re: [FoRK] Lancet, shmancet]

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 08:48:42 PST 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:51:27 +0100, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 01:01:05PM -0800, Bill Humphries wrote:
>
> > Something in the chain from Crooked Timber, Eugen's mailer, Mailman, to
> > your mail reader didn't get the message that Crooked Timber is UTF-8.
>
> The breakage occured in the line Firefox-->clipboard-->Fedora Core 2's
> Terminal window of a screened mutt session on SuSE.
>
> Which says that utf-8 sucks balls, and you should use 7 bit ASCII as God
> intended. (Unless you're stuck in a krazy-moon-language kountry).

Not that it matters much, but the odds are very high the problem is on
the SUSE end- generally it did not handle UTF-8 correctly until SUSE
9.1, and still has some problems there. I'm guessing you've got suse
9.0 on the other end there?

Luis (able to go on at length about suse shortcomings, many thankfully
being remedied as we speak)