[FoRK] Count your forks

Peter Kilby peterkilby at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Nov 2 12:09:50 PST 2004

A cowboy was herding his herd in a remote pasture when suddenly a
brand-new BMW advanced out of a dust cloud towards him. The driver, a
young man in a Brioni suit, Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses, YSL tie,
leans out the window and asks the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how
many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give
me a calf?"

The cowboy looks at the man, obviously a yuppie, then looks at his
peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure why not?" The yuppie
parks his car, whips out his Dell notebook computer, connects it to his
AT&T cell phone, surfs to a NASA page on the
Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite navigation system to get an
exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite
that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo. The young man
then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop and exports it to an
image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany. Within seconds, he
receives an email on his Palm Pilot that the image has been processed
and the data stored. He then accesses a MS-SQL database through an ODBC
connected Excel spreadsheet with hundreds of complex formula. He uploads
all of this data via an email on his Blackberry and, after a few
minutes, receives a response. Finally, he prints out a full-color,
150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet printer and
finally turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1586 cows and
calves."

That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves, says the
cowboy. He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on
amused as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.

Then the cowboy says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly
what your business is, will you give me back my calf?" The young man
thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

You're a John Kerry democrat consultant, says the cowboy. Wow! That's
correct," says the yuppie. But how did you guess that? No guessing
required, answered the cowboy.

You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid
for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked; and you don't
know anything about my
business.

Now give me back my dog