[FoRK] apple build numbers

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 2 13:29:31 PST 2004

</lurk>

You are correct with the first number. The number after the letter is
just a build number; in your example, it's the 294th build of the 8A
series.  Not all builds are public, in fact the vast majority are only
seen by a few people at Apple.  However, when getting beta releases, it
isn't uncommon for there to be only a few builds in between the betas.
This number gets reset each time the letter in front of it is
incremented.

The letter provides a bit more resolution than the first number; it's
incremented when going from, say, 10.3.4 to 10.3.5.  However, it may
increment by more than one when doing so, depending on how many
semi-major revisions occurred in the interim.  Also, it gets reset each
time the first number is incremented.

Sorry I can't really be more specific than that - that's all I know.
Now if you had wanted a decoding of Apple serial numbers, *THAT* I know
like the back of my hand (after working as an Apple Certified tech for
several years to help pay for college...)

<lurk>

Kynan Shook
http://homepage.mac.com/kynan/