[FoRK] Election results already?

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:24:36 PST 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:56:26 -0500, Jeffrey Kay <jeff at k2.com> wrote:
> Are they just blacking out the broadcasts where you are?

Nope, we get cable in flyover country as well.

But I misinterpreted what you asked -- the networks haven't embargoed
results on a national basis for at least two elections, IIRC.  With
cable and alternative conduits, they were under a lot of pressure to
spill the beans as early as possible -- hence, CNN calling Florida
last election at 8:05 pm ET, hours before the polls closed in much of
the country.

The big difference this year is that the exit polls are leaking in
advance of the local poll closing -- numbers leaked out around 2 or 3
pm ET in time to depress the stock market, for example.  That's a big
change since exit poll results were only available early to party
apparatchiks and big investors in the old days.

Just heard that Feingold -- who voted against the PATRIOT act -- has
been projected as a winner.   A win for the good guys!