[FoRK] Irregularities, or the lack thereof

Jeffrey Kay jeff at k2.com
Wed Nov 3 10:13:41 PST 2004

I'm not surprised about Virginia.  Virginia has been Republican for the
last several elections.  The only way that anyone might have been
surprised is that the election results came in an unusual order from
the precincts.  There are wide differences in voting in VA (as you
know).  My folks voted using by filling in bubbles on a piece of paper
(Leesburg area) while those of us in Fairfax voted on the WinVote touch
screens.  Perhaps the high-tech precincts (more Democrats than
Republican) reported more quickly than the low tech ones.

I'm as surprised as you by the exit polling.  Exit polling is usually a
good indicator, although I haven't seen anyone show me any historical
data on this yet.  The margin of error seems unusually high, though.  I
do agree about suspicion -- I'm not sure that there's any real
capability in our government for mass conspiracy, but I'd sure like an
explanation for the degree of error.

BTW, when I voted on the WinVote machine in my precinct, my first
reaction as I finished was to ask the voting official for a receipt (he
looked at me like I was from another planet).  I couldn't help notice
that the power on those devices was daisy chained, so if you unplug the
first, the rest are screwed.  I was also wondering if they used hard
disks or flash to store the votes. If a hard drive crashed, you'd be
toast.   And, of course, being Windows machines, I wondered whether the
write cache was disabled in the O/S -- I've had to clean up too many
computers that died before that cache was flushed.

It really calls into question whether there's some system that can be
put into place to solve some of the voting fraud issues.  As a voter,
you want your vote to be assured, yet private.  When the Bushies come
after you, you want to have complete deniability regarding who you
voted for.  However, in the event of a recount, you'd like to be able
to offer some positive proof of your vote.  I was contemplating this
while waiting for an hour in line to vote, but it seems like an almost
impossible problem.  There are aspects that of this problem that
reminded me a bit of the digital money concept that some folks worked
on about 5 years or so ago. Perhaps there's a hint there.

-- jeff

jeffrey kay
weblog <k2.com> pgp key <www.k2.com/keys.htm> aim <jkayk2>
share files with me -- get shinkuro -- <www.shinkuro.com>

"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" --
mark twain
"if the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window
and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them" --
a biker's guide to life
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X
is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein