[FoRK] Irregularities, or the lack thereof

Ken Meltsner meltsner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 12:03:58 PST 2004

I'm sure I'm missing something, but here's my scheme.

In addition to a coded paper log (OCR able in case it needs to be
checked using bar codes or a special font), each voting machine
produces a receipt.

The log has:

*  A voter identifier that doesn't identify the user by name (a hash
of the receipt info, below)

*  The votes taken

*  Appropriate info as to the time, precinct, etc.

Encoded on the receipt as OCRable text or a bar code are:

*  The voter's personal information

*  A really long random key as salt

*  The voter's choices

After the election, an Internet site and machines at every city hall
and public library will be set up with a copy of the entire election's
results indexed by voter identifier.  Any voter can show up and use
the receipt's key to verify that his or her vote was correctly
entered.  Without the receipt, the vote cannot be traced back to a
specific voter (without a lot of computation per inquiry).

I think this allows individuals to verify their own choices without
providing an easy way to track down all of the liberals in an area.

Ken Meltsner