[FoRK] [Pigdog] Civil war (fwd from evan@bad.dynu.ca)

Jeffrey Kay jeff at k2.com
Thu Nov 4 05:50:35 PST 2004

I'm with Evan on this, but it'll never happen.  Kerry is going to write
another couple of books and kick back.  He's got the big bucks and now
more fame to go along with it.  He'll be on Saturday Night Live.  The
problem is that the guys who run for office are more concerned about
power than about any particular cause.  Kerry's "cause" was to win the
presidency, not to promote some agenda.  Same with Bush.

The Republicans, of late, do better creating the illusion of a "cause"
by latching onto emotional social issues -- gay marriage, abortion
rights, prayer in schools.  In the past, civil rights was the "cause"
du jour.  But ultimately these are excuses to grab power, not to really
serve the people.  Even for the Republicans in office.  There's
widespread panic in these discussions of a rollback of civil liberties,
conservative justices, and the like, but frankly I'm not panicked.
These "causes" serve better as "causes".  If Roe v. Wade is overturned,
who do you think will get energized?  The Democrats.  If prayer is
school is brought back, that will only help the Democrats take power.
The cause creates the illusion that the elected official is fighting
for the people, and if they will only keep voting for him, he'll be
able to keep fighting the good fight.

What's the next cause going to be?  That's what will get the next
president elected.  The Democrats, if they want the next election, need
to take the next four years and build up a cause that will get them
elected.  The Republicans aren't stupid enough to actually act on these
causes.  They pick issues that are emotional, but they really don't
affect any change.

-- jeff

jeffrey kay
weblog <k2.com> pgp key <www.k2.com/keys.htm> aim <jkayk2>
share files with me -- get shinkuro -- <www.shinkuro.com>

"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" --
mark twain
"if the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window
and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them" --
a biker's guide to life
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X
is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein