[FoRK] [Pigdog] Civil war (fwd from evan@bad.dynu.ca)

Cleopatra Von Ludwig rockfish at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 07:34:09 PST 2004

Actually, much as I hate to say it, the next "cause" (if we're talking
about the Democrats here) will have to be to alienate themselves
*less* from the church-going population of the country. Clearly, the
Republicans have won over a huge sector of the population here that
used to be entirely for the Dems (think of the old South). 90% or so
of people who said they go to church "regularly" voted for Bush.
"Morality" was the top issue for most people. Religious Christians (or
even people who just go through the motions on a regular basis) see
the Dems as being anti-religious heathens. While I don't agree with
them (my own personal heathenism aside), it's still an image problem
that the Dems will have to address.

Now, *how* this will be addressed without alienating all the people
who believe in freedom of choice in religion and separation of church
and state will be the interesting part... if the Dems are smart,
they'll find a way to do it (so, I don't have much hope)...

What it comes down to is this. Clearly, people who think like us are
in the minority; this election proved that. Even if there was voter
fraud, ballot mishandling, etc., etc., which I'm sure there was, the
election still was very close -- and it *shouldn't* have been close. I
was so mad yesterday at work that I could barely look anyone in the
eye -- I mean, what kind of MORON would vote for Bush??? (My apologies
to anyone on the list who is that kind of moron :-) (Some of my best
friends are Republican!) But seriously, people saw what kind of
president he was, and *chose* to keep him in office. If that isn't the
scariest aspect of all of this, I don't know what is. I mean, at least
in 2000 people had the benefit of the doubt -- they got suckered in by
his Texas swagger, they saw him as a repentant Jesus-lover, they
identified with his inability to use English properly, whatever it may
have been. But in the past 4 years, Bushie hasn't exactly held back on
his extremism, and _people_ _voted_ _FOR_ more of that!!!

I'm so frightened of what's going to happen in the next 4 years...
Sure, Jeff, you can flippantly remark that they might overturn Roe v.
Wade, and that will just mobilize the Dems. BULLSHIT. You get pregnant
with an unwanted spawn, and then we'll talk.

-cleo