[FoRK] Should Democrats Get Religion?

Jeffrey Kay jeff at k2.com
Thu Nov 4 10:29:27 PST 2004

While I agree that social justice, preventing war, helping others, etc.
are places where we need to put some effort, I find the "faith-based"
campaigning to be exclusionary.  The politicians make a point of
showing off their religions as if it validates why they are worthy of
serving the people in the first place.

My reaction to this sort of thing likely comes from being Jewish.  As a
Jew, I don't relate at all to the "faith-based" initiatives.  They
assert that Christian values are everyone's values, and frankly, they
aren't.  "Faith-based" is a code-word for sending money to churches and
asserting a Christian agenda.  There are so many good secular
organizations that I don't understand why we even need the
"faith-based" approach, except as an underhanded means of proselytizing
the masses.  When a candidate makes a big deal about consulting his
religion/faith/minister/etc., I view that as a problem.  Kennedy was a
Catholic, but he made it a point to ensure the people that the Pope
wouldn't be governing the US; rather he would do what was best for the
American people.

What the "faith-based" agenda does is marginalize those people who
don't share the faith.  It asserts that we (Jews, Muslims, Hindi,
non-believers, etc) are not part of the agenda -- that we don't matter
as much as Christians.  It focuses on where we are different because of
our beliefs rather than where we come together as Americans.

jeffrey kay
weblog <k2.com> pgp key <www.k2.com/keys.htm> aim <jkayk2>
share files with me -- get shinkuro -- <www.shinkuro.com>

"first get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" --
mark twain
"if the person in the next lane at the stoplight rolls up the window
and locks the door, support their view of life by snarling at them" --
a biker's guide to life
"if A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X
is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- albert einstein