[FoRK] corporate personhood and the death penalty (was: [Pigdog] Civil war ...)

Elias Sinderson elias at cse.ucsc.edu
Thu Nov 4 12:08:21 PST 2004

Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> I say we keep personhood status but be for a death penalty and other
> severe penalties.  MS, for instance, should have had more than a mild
> slap.

I seem to recall a similar discussion thread on FoRK some time back...
if I can find it in the archives I'll be sure to provide a link in a
forthcoming email.

In general, I agree, either we should:
(a) revoke personhood from corporations or
(b) go all the way and embrace corporal punishment, etc. for misdeeds

I'm largly in favor of (a) because it ultimately entails an end to
political lobbying and similar activities (e.g. campaign contributions),
as well as personal responsibility for corporate malfeasance. In other
words, if the company breaks the law while you're on the watch, then you
are personally liable. A strong case could be made for (b), provided
that a sufficiently powerful and well funded system was put in place to
actually catch and prosecute corporations.

Regards,
Elias