[FoRK] Global Guerrillas

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Nov 5 12:36:47 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:30:20AM -0800, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> My limited understanding of Hydrogen is that, as alternative energy
> goes, it's fool's gold.  The processes for the creation of Hydrogen

Iron sulfide isn't an energy source. Neither is hydrogen. It's a
carrier/storage form of energy.

> require a huge amount of energy in the form of electricity or
> compressed natural gas.  In the US, this most probably means that

Methane reforming is an excellent source of hydrogen.

> fossil fuels are still burned, emissions are still created, as you

This is not a valid argument. Check this list's archives.

> create and recharge hydrogen fuel cells.  Currently Hydrogen costs
> $3-$4 per gallon to make.

Fuel cells can't be "recharged". Hydrogen is best made from alcohols or
alcanes onboard, if for vehicular applications. The best solution is not to
use hydrogen at all, but direct methanol fuel cells.

Ditto direct methane fuel cells for small-scale fuel cells.

> There's a lot of hype about hydrogen vis-a-vis global warming, but at

Oxane is not a greenhouse gas. Electrochemical energy sources are not
Carnot-limited. ICE doesn't profit from electric synergies.

> present it looks like all you're really doing is redistributing the
> environmental impact from the tail pipe to the hydrogen generation
> facilities.  My suggestion is to locate all of those in the Red States.

You're confusing greenhouse gases and aerosol/ICE exhaust pollution.