[FoRK] Global Guerrillas

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Fri Nov 5 13:33:03 PST 2004

The tone of your response sucks.  However...

On 5-Nov-04, at 12:36 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 08:30:20AM -0800, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
>
>> My limited understanding of Hydrogen is that, as alternative energy
>> goes, it's fool's gold.  The processes for the creation of Hydrogen
>
> Iron sulfide isn't an energy source. Neither is hydrogen. It's a
> carrier/storage form of energy.

I was making a figurative connection.  Google "allegory".

>> require a huge amount of energy in the form of electricity or
>> compressed natural gas.  In the US, this most probably means that
>
> Methane reforming is an excellent source of hydrogen.

Which has to be extracted, presumably by burning hydrocarbons.

> Fuel cells can't be "recharged". Hydrogen is best made from alcohols or
> alcanes onboard, if for vehicular applications. The best solution is
> not to
> use hydrogen at all, but direct methanol fuel cells.

Agreed.  Fuel cells can be refueled.  However, I hear people from that
industry (it's largely centered in Vancouver) using the term recharged
most commonly.  Sorry it didn't fit your lexicon requirements.

>> There's a lot of hype about hydrogen vis-a-vis global warming, but at
>
> Oxane is not a greenhouse gas. Electrochemical energy sources are not
> Carnot-limited. ICE doesn't profit from electric synergies.

Follow the power.  If the production of hydrogen requires electricity
then that most likely means burning fossil fuels in the process of
electricity generation.  Fossil fuels create emissions and greenhouse
gases.

-Ian.