[FoRK] Re: S.Y.S.T.E.M. - Simple Yet Scaleable

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Nov 5 13:37:25 PST 2004

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their help and insights.  I used Wayne's
refinement of my mnemonic:

	Simple
	Yet
	Scalable
	Technologies
	Embrace
	Murphy

as the basis of a talk I gave to an OS Design class about "real-world
system design principles".   Here's my main talking points -- would
love to hear whether this jibes with your experience:

Myth #1: Efficiency & Elegance Are The Goal
Reality: The Goal is Sustainably Satisfying Users

Myth #2: Usability Comes From the Interface
Reality: Usability Comes From the Architecture

Myth #3: Good Design Avoids Failure
Reality: Great Design Anticipates Failure

Myth #4: Engineer Time is the Scarce Resource
Reality: User Attention is the Scarce Resource

Myth #5: Focus On What Users Can Do
Reality: Focus On What Users Can Ignore

Note that in this context a Myth need not be totally false, just
incomplete.

Cheers,
- Dr. Ernie

The Network Of Radical Middle Activists And Learners (NORMAAL) is a
forum for people interested in discussing and implementing the ideals
of Radical Middle politics, as exemplified by the works of Mark Satin.
NORMAAL is a peer-support group for people passionate about radical
middle politics to respectfully encourage, educate, and critique each
other, as well as organize activities to build the radical middle
community. Our goal is to both demonstrate and advocate common sense,
listening, vision, courage, creativity and other radical middle
virtues.

Though based in California, we invite learners and activists from
across the U.S. and around the world to join us in developing a more
civil society.