[FoRK] Global Guerrillas

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 6 07:20:16 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 01:33:03PM -0800, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> The tone of your response sucks.  However...

Very possibly. We've been discussing on and off hydrogen/fuel cells on this list for
several years. I no longer have the time or energy of writing long missives
no one is reading anyway.

> >Methane reforming is an excellent source of hydrogen.
>
> Which has to be extracted, presumably by burning hydrocarbons.

Drilling takes energy. There is no free lunch. Reforming isn't burning,
though. Hydrogen reformed from fossils is a migration pathway to pure
hydrogen economy, which will be powered by fusion. Solar fusion, that is.

> Follow the power.  If the production of hydrogen requires electricity

Hydrogen is not an energy source.

> then that most likely means burning fossil fuels in the process of

No. You can directly reform fossils to hydrogen.

> electricity generation.  Fossil fuels create emissions and greenhouse
> gases.

Only if you burn them. So, don't. Carbon dioxide as a greenhouse gas released
from a fuel cell is a red herring. Do the math.