[FoRK] 69 Years Later, Is It Happening Here

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Sat Nov 6 13:26:39 PST 2004

On Nov 6, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Bill Humphries wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:
>
>>  Before 1984, before The Handmaid's Tale, before either the movie or
>> the book by Stephen King, there was Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen
>> Here.
>
> I'm sure that he's catching hell for this on kuro5hin, but thats'
> Margaret Atwood, not Steven King.

Yup, no doubt.  I think perhaps he was going to mention another work by
Stephen King (which one?  The Long Walk, maybe?) but it got munged ---
doubt he really meant to attribute THT to SK.

Still, the pointer to Lewis's book is the meat of it.  I hadn't thought
about that book in, oh, 20 years but --- yeah --- well worth a re-read.

jb