[FoRK] Global Guerrillas

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Nov 7 01:50:11 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:39:54AM -0500, Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> This is kind of what I was getting at... renewable energy sources are
> all well and good, but most require a significant investment in
> infrastructure, and some of the infrastructure (gasoline stations, for

Some investments are cheaper than others, since they can be done
incrementally, and having synergies.

Hybrids and onboard fuel reformers in vehicles are important.
Direct methane high-temp fuel cells and methane reformers are
important. Both of them work with current infrastructure, are
small, inexpensive installations, easily purchased at personal
level.

> example), would in all likelihood be hard to convert. I guess heavy
> emphasis on *personal* solutions is probably the right thing, which
> means you have to drive down costs right?

I don't think it's rational. If people would be worried about minimizing
costs, they'd insulate their houses.

> There was a process I read about recently that could take in basically
> any carbon-based waste and turn it into high quality fuel oil. I can
> easily imagine that getting more of a foothold...

It depends how large and expensive the installation is going to be, whether
the half life time of the catalyst vs. costs is sufficiently long, and
whether there are toxic byproducts.

What's wrong with synthetic methanol?