[FoRK] "Hopeful and Decent"

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Nov 7 18:52:36 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 6:27 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III wrote:

> Bush to Seek Gay-Marriage Ban in New Term -Aide Sun Nov 7,12:28 PM ET

He may push for the a constitutional amendment, but I am doubtful it
will fly.  There is very substantial resistance within the Republican
Party to the idea.  I would estimate somewhere around 40% are flat out
against this idea, which means if the Democrats do not cave I don't see
how it should happen.  A lot of Democrats support not having gay
marriage, but I don't think that support extends to a constitutional
amendment at the Federal level.  I'm sure there will be much noise, but
I don't think anything truly substantial will come out of it.

I personally would prefer that the government (and especially the
Federal government) got out of the "marriage"  business altogether and
move to more of a generic contract model for civil unions generally ,
which would allow any group of people to contract themselves as
"family" for the legal purposes.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers