[FoRK] "Hopeful and Decent"

J.Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Sun Nov 7 20:57:10 PST 2004

On Nov 7, 2004, at 8:12 PM, Russell Turpin wrote:
> Not in the base. The moderates who haven't
> yet realized the nature of the new GOP soon
> will.

No, I definitely disagree.  I have been tracking internal policy
arguments of both the Democrats and Republicans for a long time.  The
Republican Party is currently a coalition between libertarians and
religious conservatives, and while Bush comes from the latter faction
both hold significant sway.  If the libertarian faction walks, the
Republican Party cannot get anything done.  It has taken these two
groups a long time to work together effectively on their common goals
despite significant ideological differences.  The infighting has been
destructive for decades, and even though they are unusually
well-functioning internally at the moment, the relationship is still
tenuous.  They *almost* lost the libertarian faction for this election
(the drug entitlement just about sealed it), but managed to pull it
together in the latter part of 2004 when the 1994 gun ban was put out
to pasture.  The libertarian faction is owed a few bones, and there
will be some conflicts.

Your notion of what constitutes "the base" is not really accurate.  The
Republicans are a coalition party, and that includes a strong faction
that is not at all interested in passing constitutional amendments to
prevent gay marriage.  This particular issue causes some fairly furious
discussion in Republican circles.  Even liberal Democrat areas
generally do not support gay marriage, but I see no support for an
amendment to the Federal Constitution outside of the religious
conservative faction.

There has been a lot of propaganda surrounding this election that is
going to bite liberal Democrats in the ass next time around if they buy
into it.  The religious conservatives came out in the same numbers that
they came out in 2000 -- that is not why the Democrats lost.  The
percentage of gays and atheists that voted Republican is revealing as
well, and clearly shows that religious conservatism is not the only
driving force for that party.

Let things settle down.  Everyone on both sides is over-reacting, and
Washington DC will be back to normal in no time.  Remember, other than
a few seats changing in Congress, nothing has really changed.

j. andrew rogers