[FoRK] The Answer is 42 - 6 multiplied by 9

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Nov 15 13:42:52 PST 2004

To what extent is the simulation hypothesis a form of creationism?

One could hypothesize a "young earth" argument that the simulation has been
running for considerably less than its "apparent age".

How do simulation hypothesizers feel about the possibility that the
programmer(s) of the simulation might have made tweaks at various points in
its history and in some cases, intervened quite dramatically in the running
of the simulation.

And to turn the hypothesis around, how do we know we aren't already creating
consciousness in the machines we build and the software we write? We might
be creators of "simulations" ourselves and not yet be aware of it.

James