[FoRK] CanyonBridge is giving me an allergy to the phrase "patent pending"

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Tue Dec 14 17:51:08 PST 2004

On Dec 14, 2004, at 4:35 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> http://www.canyonbridge.com/products/cbintegrate_3.htm
>
> I'm not sure what secret sauce these guys have, but it sounds a lot
> like mod_pubsub, with a bit of XMLHTTPRequest added for extra flavor.
> Micro-page refresh (TM) sounds a lot like setting innerHTML
> properties, for example.  And declarative modeling is good ol' rules
> and constraints, possibly with continuations thrown in as the
> "context."

I have prior art on a lot of that stuff... but that doesn't stop the
patent world from sucking. Last time I checked there were hundreds and
hundreds of patent applications for XML-based technologies. Sometimes I
think I could make a living as a consultant providing testimony in
patent disputes involving XML.

The worst part is that most of the stuff is pretty obvious to anyone in
the space..