[FoRK] Credit

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Dec 16 10:35:13 PST 2004

I didn't see that advice, but here are some notes.  I have built up and
paid off a fair amount of credit several times, mainly due to a
combination of children, housing, and starting businesses.  I'm pretty
rational about it and it has worked out very well, although sometimes
I've made people nervous.

The main thing seems to be that having credit allows you to get more
credit.  It is a kind of circle of trust arrangement where companies
will tend to offer you credit when you have credit but haven't used all
of it.  The most clear aspect of this is that you should have at least 2
credit cards and you should not have a high balance on more than one of
them.  Negatives are credit inquiries, any reported late payment
(anything under 30 days late doesn't get reported usually), or
especially anything 'charged off' or in litigation.

For credit cards, insist on: no annual fees, low interest rate tied to
prime, and avoid gimmicky deals unless they are really clean (most
aren't).  For instance, many of the affiliated cash back programs
(except Discover and American Express in-house versions) cause you to
have an interest rate that is at least 1% higher and often add a yearly
fee.  Certain companies are bad about trying to change  your interest
rate periodically to see if: a) you are paying attention, b) you can't
move your money, or c) to see if you are in trouble.  This is why you
must have at least 2 credit cards, if not 3: you need to keep
competitive pressure on each company you deal with.  If they see you
only have 1 credit card, they think you will be loyal to them even with
a little abuse.

Certain companies are much worse than others, although this changes over
time.  MBNA used to be bad about changing rates, but after 'spanking'
them a few times, they reformed, maybe just for me, I don't know.  They
do however only offer temporary promotional rates.  Bank of America,
Citibank, and American Express will make offers to some people of low
fixed rates until paid off for a block of credit from a balance transfer
or one-time-payout.  Rates in these deals can be: 1.99%, 3.9%, 3.99%, or
4.9%.  I have had a considerable amount on this kind of deal in the past.

Some of my credit philosophy:
It's all about cashflow.  Always protect your ability to meet cashflow
requirements and everything else is easy.

The marginal value of money for people with elastic and increasing
incomes is usually more in the present than it is in the future.  In
other words, I am very happy that I didn't save money in my 20's when I
was making little money, had a young family, and was researching and
learning about things to be used both in work and startups.  The value
of $100 then was proportionally high compared to now or, most likely,
the future.  Buying a video camera as soon as I could possibly afford it
to get video of my children as toddlers was an excellent investment.
Premature saving is like premature optimization.  It only makes sense if
you expect to have a small fixed income that grows slowly.
Additionally, there are big discontinuities in life, especially
children, that cause a huge difference in the marginal value of money
between their childhood and adulthood.

Do anything to avoid negative information on your credit report.  I very
nearly sold my house, etc. 3+ years ago.

If you do end up in a negative situation, avoid being strung along as
you start rebuilding credit only when all activity stops on a negative
account.

Keep your finances separate from everyone.  I have an old partner who's
owed me $7000 for about 10 years because he also had a corporate credit
card that I had to pay to avoid a negative credit report.  You and your
significant other might not have the same approach to credit, cashflow, etc.

Loans to younger family are seldom loans.

Buy a house that will appreciate as soon as you can.  A house that can
be refinanced will hide many other ills.  With low interest rates, there
is a good argument that you should just buy a house, pay interest only
when you can, and never pay off the house.  The deductable interest is
less than rent and equity is just money that you have but can't spend.
I learned about this strategy when working in Manhattan.  Apparently
some "apartment" buildings work this way: You 'buy' into the building
and pay interest only plus a maintenance fee and you are specifically
not allowed to gain equity.  The 'lender' then is the real owner and
collects the interest forever.  I wouldn't like to go that far, but the
idea is sound in some circumstances.

sdw