[FoRK] Credit

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Thu Dec 16 13:53:15 PST 2004

Cleopatra Von Ludwig wrote:

>I think credit is an issue of some debate; and I say this primarily
>because I disagree with some of Stephen's points (maybe disagree is
>too strong -- I'd like to present a different perspective :-).

There are a lot of perspectives on this subject...

>card limits have been increasing periodically for years, much to my
>chagrin; now, the total debt I could potentially get into because of
>those cards may be seen as a liability to lenders. If you want to

I haven't seen that.  Not long ago, I had available credit that was
massive.  Available credit was never an issue.  I specifically have
heard that having high available credit and not using it is counted very
postively.  I think the theory is that if you max out your credit
accounts, you're not showing a good pattern.  So, for example, if you
needed to carry a $10,000 balance, you would have a much higher score
with $25,000 of available credit rather than $1000.

>force credit card companies to treat you right, you can always
>threaten to leave them; you don't have to actually have multiple cards

It does work a time or two, then you're just crying wolf.  If you
actually move $8000 to another account for 6 months and leave their
account empty, they often can't resist coming around.  If they don't
have your balance, they have nothing to lose.

>to do that. Credit card companies are slime, IMHO, and will do
>whatever they can do to shaft you. In fact, I'm seen as a "deadbeat"
>to my credit card companies because I always pay off my balance in
>full every month; this mature, rational behavior ironically works
>against me in the world of "credit ratings".
>
>A big part of credit ratings, as Stephen said, is having debt and
>showing that you have paid (or are paying) it off. A car loan is a
>fine example. I didn't quite follow what Stephen meant about "almost
>selling his house", but the part about investing in property is well
>articulated.

That was an illustration of my point of doing whatever you have to.
Three years ago, I had unexpectedly not been paid for months of work and
available local gigs didn't pay well enough.

>I take issue with the idea of not saving as early as possible. I
>started my retirement accounts when I was in my early 20's; the
>long-term interest is where the pay-off lies. Even saving a small
>amount every month is good; especially if you can do it pre-tax.

This is the party line, and it is true to a large extent.  You should
understand that the advantage of that strategy is highly variable with
your life situation.  Additionally, the present value of money can often
be worth much more than the future value of present money.  Inflation is
one cause.  What I was pointing out is that I realized long ago that for
me, the marginal value of money, i.e. the money left over after bills,
decreases drastically over time.  The relative value of $1000 when I was
making $33K/year was far more than when I was making multiples of that
or even more compared to when the children are grown and out of
college.  Some years I would have been lucky to put away $1000 while
others I may be able to invest $100,000 one way or another.

I think another way to look at this is to think about what your security
is.  In my case, it is investment in my self in various ways, which
includes playing with gadgets, buying lots of books and periodicals,
playing with new technology, buying useful software.  Even keeping
myself healthy so I don't get too burned out qualifies.  Saved money is
just something you can lose, as many did in the stock market.  Saving
money means that I'm saying that the money will be worth more to me
later than it is right now.  If I had $90,000 cash laying around, I
wouldn't save it, I'd invest it in a business.  Stocks are that in an
indirect way, I just am more interested in the direct ways.

After the children are grown, I'll switch to some strategy of saving,
investing, and startups.  I'm nearly 40, but I'm still not even halfway
through my working life and hopefully my income won't go down too much.
After my children are grown, I know that my disposable income will go up
at least 10-20 times.

sdw