[FoRK] Hackers and Painters by Paul Graham

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Mon Dec 20 16:01:15 PST 2004

http://sdw.st/twiki/bin/view/Sdw/SdwBooks

"Hackers and Painters" is one of the best non-fiction books I've read in
a while.  If Paul isn't on FoRK, we should invite him immediately!  The
book could use some editing with the Spam and other chapters dropped or
moved into a 'computer geeks only' section, but it's really good
overall.  I've been recommending this book to a number of non-technical
types who are going to stumble on certain chapters, which hopefully
won't ruin the rest of the book for them.

I agree with Paul quite a bit.  I've written something similar to a
number of his points, but he has written a better coherent treatment and
has covered a number of issues well that I didn't yet have the right
perspective.  Realizing that I didn't 'grow up' in startup culture in
the Valley, after reading the section on startups I realize some things
that I will do much better next time.  Mainly, I'll only do it with a
group better than myself or not at all.

Skype: stephendwilliams