[FoRK] The Loneliest Mystery of the Deep

Jeff Bone jbone at place.org
Tue Dec 21 21:54:38 PST 2004

No doubt --- except I'm not sure the law of large numbers (population
of progenitor species) * the rate of positive (survivable) mutation
would necessitate this in any given progenitor whale species.  Not that
I would have an opinion about this even six months ago, yet lately I'm
less a software architect than a meta-evolution architect:  "breeding"
trading strategies.  Very exciting --- feeding my insomnia to an
unprecedented extent --- yet very, very difficult / confusing.  I'm
becoming convinced that LaMarckian evolution + some sort of memetic
mechanism has a much larger influence in viable phenotypic
(+behavioral) variation than previously expected...

jb