[FoRK] The Decline of Empires..

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 11:34:35 PST 2005

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 03:17:45 +0800, James Tauber <jtauber at jtauber.com> wrote:

> I was a fan of Diamond but he's lost me with this...
>
> > when I drive by gated communities,
> > guarded by private security patrols, and filled with people who drink
> > bottled water, depend on private pensions, and send their children to
> > private schools. By doing these things, they lose the motivation to
> > support the police force, the municipal water supply, Social Security
> > and public schools. If conditions deteriorate too much for poorer
> > people, gates will not keep the rioters out.

Speaking as someone whose parents live in a gated community with
private security patrols whose step-siblings go to very private
schools, what's so wrong about the statement? It's a little
over-dramatic, sure, but personal provision of all of those sorts of
things /does/ disincentivize investment in common goods.

Luis