[FoRK] The Decline of Empires..

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jan 3 14:03:39 PST 2005

On 4/1/05 3:25 AM, "Ian Andrew Bell   (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:
> Really?  Ask a wealthy Bush voter why they voted him in -- it's almost
> certainly not for his philanthropy.  I asked a few and they ALL said
> that poorly-funded schools and civic infrastructure largely do not
> affect them, so why should they vote in favour of those sorts of
> things?

There is a very wide (and often true) perception that schools and civic
infrastructure are grossly OVER-funded, hence why no one is interested
in throwing any more money down that rathole.  Historically, there has
been only marginal correlation between funding of such things and the
intended results.

The US already spends more per student, often very substantially more,
than essentially the entire modern world, and with famously mediocre
results.  There is nothing "poorly-funded" about the schools and civic
infrastructure.  Poorly managed maybe, but not poorly funded.

Given this, is it any surprise that so many people are no longer
interested in dumping any more of their money into these issues?  You
could funnel the entire GDP of the US into these issues and I doubt it
would improve the situation.  After many decades of ratcheting up the
public spending with no return on that increased spending, people are
going to lose interest in putting their money there.

j. andrew rogers