[FoRK] The Decline of Empires..

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Jan 3 15:03:58 PST 2005

On 4/1/05 6:31 AM, "Ian Andrew Bell   (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:
> Think the money's being wasted?  John the school board or the PTA.
> Help the school's music program.  Coach the football team.  But opting
> out ensures the system's long-term failure.  It's everyone's
> responsibility to make the world around them better, not to simply pull
> the plug when the efforts of others fail.

So what you are saying is we shouldn't go to the private sector for
anything, we should all work for the government to make the system better.

Not everyone believes the public sector is the best way to make the world
around them better.

Now I don't believe for a minute that you yourself only rely on the public
sector. You must "opt out" and "pull the plug" on the system for some
things. When you do so, are you being short-sighted? Isn't it possible that
you're actually doing some good when you support private enterprise?

James