[FoRK] The Decline of Empires..

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon Jan 3 15:39:29 PST 2005

Ian wrote:
> Wow, this is simply a ridiculous, circular, self-defeating argument and
> it really saddens me to hear you attempt to use it.  This is like not
> voting because your party never wins, which as we know a large number
> of people do as well.

Uh, no.  It is like not voting for a party you disagree with.

If some program has plenty of money but is just badly managed, how is it
self-defeating to stop increasing their funding?  You won't make the
situation any worse, and you'll conserve resources instead of wasting
them.  "funding" does not equal "fixing", particularly not in the case
where everyone seems to agree the problem is gross mismanagement and
poor administration.  Yet politicians just LOVE to throw money at
management problems.

No one said to stop funding.  They said to stop spending even more money
as a solution to a management problem.  You seem to be saying that even
though most people acknowledge that existing funds are more than
adequate for the task and that mismanagement is the problem, we should
increase funding anyway for the hell of it and deal with the management
problem later.  Why should people vote to increase taxes on themselves
to solve a problem that has nothing to do with funding?

The "spend money first, ask questions later" is what got us into this
mess in the first place.  And the "ask questions later" part never
really seems to materialize in a meaningful way.

j. andrew rogers