[FoRK] The Decline of Empires..

James Tauber jtauber at jtauber.com
Mon Jan 3 16:09:08 PST 2005

On 4/1/05 7:13 AM, "Ian Andrew Bell   (FoRK)" <fork at ianbell.com> wrote:

> On 3-Jan-05, at 3:03 PM, James Tauber wrote:
>
>> So what you are saying is we shouldn't go to the private sector for
>> anything, we should all work for the government to make the system
>> better.
>
> You consistently fail to understand

I *consistently* fail? Are you basing my consistency on one paragraph in one
email?

> that it is not only in your best
> interests to have your kids get a good education, but also to have the
> kids from down the block, or two cities over, receive one as well.

I don't disagree at all, so I'm at a real loss as to why you think I fail to
understand this.

I would love to see everyone in Australia better educated. The two biggest
barriers here, in my opinion: (lack of) parental responsibility; and
teachers' unions.

> The government is the only mechanism in our society whose mandate it is to
> make the latter happen.

Well, that's true almost by definition. The important point, however, is
that it isn't the only mechanism by which the latter takes place.

> So yeah, we all need to work WITH the government in one form or another.

For some things, sure. I'm not an anarchist.

But to suggest that we are doing harm any time we use a private service
rather than one provided by the government is just plain wrong.

> Private Enterprise is not particularly motivated by balance.

Again with the anthropomorphizing :)

James