[FoRK] What Americans Do...

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 20:34:52 PST 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:19:18 -0400, Owen Byrne <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:
> Sateesh Narahari wrote:
>
> >How much did Canada contribute?
> >
> >Talk is cheap....... $40 mil < $350 mil per my math.
> >
> >Sateesh
> >

> Not per capita it ain't - and Canada ponied up with that from the start.
> Its now 80 mil - which is about 75 million US -
> five times what the US initially pledged.

While I'm not a huge fan of the WSJ, particularly their editorial
page, they point out that on average, individuals in the US give in
the range of 5-8 times as much money annually to charity as
individuals in western european countries, and that historically only
roughly 1/4th of American foreigh aid comes from the government- the
rest comes via individuals, foundations, religious institutions and
corporations. Anecdotally, for their respective red crosses in the
current disaster, Amazon.co.uk has raised $400K, Amazon.de has raised
$180K, amazon.ca has raised $64K, amazon.fr has raised $32K, and
Amazon.com has raised $14.2M. Even adjusted for net access and GDP and
such, that is fairly striking. And frankly, I trust the Red Cross to
do a lot better than the UN at distributing money. So, tossing some
broad blanket saying 'america(ns) is|are stingy' is not really
particularly accurate.

Luis