[FoRK] What Americans Do...

Owen Byrne owen at permafrost.net
Tue Jan 4 20:42:04 PST 2005

Luis Villa wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:19:18 -0400, Owen Byrne <owen at permafrost.net> wrote:
>

>>Sateesh Narahari wrote:
>>

>>>How much did Canada contribute?
>>>
>>>Talk is cheap....... $40 mil < $350 mil per my math.
>>>
>>>Sateesh
>>>

>>Not per capita it ain't - and Canada ponied up with that from the start.
>>Its now 80 mil - which is about 75 million US -
>>five times what the US initially pledged.
>>

>While I'm not a huge fan of the WSJ, particularly their editorial
>page, they point out that on average, individuals in the US give in
>the range of 5-8 times as much money annually to charity as
>individuals in western european countries, and that historically only
>roughly 1/4th of American foreigh aid comes from the government- the
>rest comes via individuals, foundations, religious institutions and
>corporations. Anecdotally, for their respective red crosses in the
>current disaster, Amazon.co.uk has raised $400K, Amazon.de has raised
>$180K, amazon.ca has raised $64K, amazon.fr has raised $32K, and
>Amazon.com has raised $14.2M. Even adjusted for net access and GDP and
>such, that is fairly striking. And frankly, I trust the Red Cross to
>do a lot better than the UN at distributing money. So, tossing some
>broad blanket saying 'america(ns) is|are stingy' is not really
>particularly accurate.
>
>Luis

You're probably right, but it wasn't Jeff Bezos trying to step up and
say Americans are once again leading the way - it was Colin Powell. I
don't really think Americans are stingy, but I do think the people
running your government are - not
stingy - but have a particular lack of compassion and hatred of the poor.

Owen