[FoRK] "I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp"

Joseph S. Barrera III joe at barrera.org
Wed Jan 5 19:43:40 PST 2005

<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&u=/ap/20050105/ap_en_tv/tv_carlson_crossfire_1&printer=1>

CNN Lets 'Crossfire' Host Carlson Go

Wed Jan 5, 5:04 PM ET

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer

NEW YORK - CNN said goodbye to pundit Tucker Carlson on Wednesday, and
with him likely the "Crossfire" program that has been the granddaddy of
high-volume political debate shows on cable television.

CNN will probably fold "Crossfire" into its other programming, perhaps
as an occasional segment on the daytime show "Inside Politics," said
Jonathan Klein, who was appointed in late November as chief executive of
CNN's U.S. network.

Klein on Wednesday told Carlson, one of the four "Crossfire" hosts, that
CNN would not be offering him a new contract. Carlson has reportedly
been talking with MSNBC about a prime-time opening replacing Deborah
Norville.

Carlson did not immediately return a call to his cell phone for comment.

The bow-tied wearing conservative pundit got into a public tussle last
fall with comic Jon Stewart, who has been critical of cable political
programs that devolve into shoutfests.

"I guess I come down more firmly in the Jon Stewart camp," Klein told
The Associated Press.

He said all of the cable networks, including CNN, have overdosed on
programming devoted to arguing over issues. Klein said he wants more
substantive programming that is still compelling.

"I doubt that when the president sits down with his advisers they scream
at him to bring him up to date on all of the issues," he said. "I don't
know why we don't treat the audience with the same respect."

"Crossfire" began in 1982 and was once a mainstay of CNN's prime time.
Pat Buchanan (news - web sites) from the right and Michael Kinsley from
the left were two of its most prominent hosts.

But as Fox News Channel perfected the format with popular hosts Bill
O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, "Crossfire" lost favor among CNN executives
and was moved to the afternoons in 2002. It averages 447,000 viewers
each weekday, down 21 percent from the previous season, according to
Nielsen Media Research. Carlson rotates as host with conservative
columnist Bob Novak. Paul Begala and James Carville are the left-leaning
ringleaders.

Klein said he hoped Novak, Begala and Carville would continue with
meaningful commentator roles at CNN.

Carlson had one failed bid at prime time on CNN with "The Spin Room,"
which was canceled for low ratings after less than six months in 2001.

He subbed last week for newscaster Aaron Brown as Klein wanted to see
him in a different role before making a decision about his future. Klein
said his views on wanting to change the tone of political coverage were
separate from the decision to keep Carlson.

"His career aspirations and our programming needs just don't synch up,"
Klein said. "He wants to host his own nighttime show and we don't see
that in the cards here. Out of respect for him and his talent, we
thought it would be best to let him explore opportunities elsewhere."

An MSNBC spokesman had no comment on CNN's decision.

"We think Tucker is a great journalist and we're exploring our options
for a new 9 p.m. show," said MSNBC's Jeremy Gaines.

--
This Jerusalemic holy ground is only fit for mealy mouths
Whose contamination breeds subordination