[p2p-hackers] [FoRK] Hamachi "mediated" peer-to-peer sounds?interesting (fwd from meltsner@gmail.com) (fwd from wesley@felter.org)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 7 13:03:24 PST 2005

----- Forwarded message from Wes Felter <wesley at felter.org> -----

From: Wes Felter <wesley at felter.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 14:16:56 -0600
To: "Peer-to-peer development." <p2p-hackers at zgp.org>
Subject: Re: [p2p-hackers] [FoRK] Hamachi "mediated" peer-to-peer
	sounds	interesting (fwd from meltsner at gmail.com)

Eugen Leitl wrote:
>----- Forwarded message from Ken Meltsner <meltsner at gmail.com> -----

>Basically, a way to get around NAT and other router issues for a
>peer-to-peer system, mostly seamlessly integrated as a special network
>driver.  Systems connect to a back end server which relays traffic
>between peers on named private networks.  Sort of P2P meets VPN -- if
>they added HTTPS tunneling, it would run through nearly any corporate
>firewall/proxy server.

(The subject line is a little misleading; almost all P2P now uses
mediated firewall traversal, so that's hardly noteworthy.)

Hamachi is interesting because it appears to provide NAT/firewall
traversal for arbitrary unmodified applications; the downside is that a
Hamachi node can only talk to other Hamachi nodes. Teredo provides NAT
traversal for any IPv6 application, with the advantage that Teredo nodes
are full peers on the IPv6 Internet (such as it is).

I wonder why they didn't use IPSec. A simple GUI to set up P2P IPSec
groups might be interesting.

If Hamachi really uses the 5.0.0.0/8 address block, that's a little
naughty since IANA has not assigned that block:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

--
Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org - http://felter.org/wesley/
Here is a web page listing P2P Conferences:

----- End forwarded message -----