[FoRK] "Do not eat iPod shuffle."

Rohit Khare rohit at commerce.net
Tue Jan 11 11:46:13 PST 2005

Footnote #2 on http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/ is a gasser :)

Can't believe they hit those two price points: $99 for an impulse-buy
iPod and $499 for what's basically a 2001-era G4 Cube in a third of the
space and size... wow!

I'm disappointed that unlike it's namesake, Pages by Pages for NeXTstep
(led by Bruce F. Webster), it doesn't have a constraint engine; the
templates are closer to Word templates than not, at first glance. The
alternative is intelligence that recognizes, "hmm, let's try to flow it
with one picture per page, unless that won't work and I have to
alternate column widths..."

The HDTV editing tools are moving closer to finally unlocking the
potential of our wedding tapes in HDCAM :) Need to sign up for some FCX
training myself, to take advantage of the new 2x2.5 G5 beast on my desk
these days...

Video clip-management from within iPhoto makes it a must-upgrade for
me. The new iPhoto book-order formats are going to be a hit, the
softcover price points make life much easier. And they finally added
the "Ken Burns effect" to iPhoto (rather than having to hack it in via
Screen Savers...) And RAW format support. And finegrained rotation. And
a translucent editing panel. [Oh, alright, that last bit is just
gratuitous...]

Check out Delicious Monster, from Wil Shipley & other parts of the
original OMNI crew:
> Run your very own library from your home or office using our
> impossibly simple interface. Delicious Library's digital shelves act
> as a visual card-catalog of your books, movies, music and video games.
> A scan of a barcode is all Delicious Library needs to add an item to
> your digital shelves, downloading tons of info from the internet like
> the author, release date, current value, description, and even a
> high-resolution picture of the cover. Import your entire library using
> our exclusive full-speed iSight video barcode scanner, our Flic®
> Wireless Laser Bar Code Scanner, or (the slow way) entering the titles
> by hand. Once you have all of your items in your Mac, you can browse
> though your digital shelves, check stuff out to friends using Apple's
> built-in Address Book and calendar, and find new items to read, watch,
> and play using Library's recommendations.
> http://www.delicious-monster.com/

Rohit