[FoRK] "Do not eat iPod shuffle."

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Jan 11 12:25:01 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 02:04:18PM -0600, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> The Apple Mini is interesting for another reason -- they're suggesting
> that a KVM switch and a couple of minis would make a great development

That thing's got an Ethernet port -- what else do you need, but that, and
FreeNX, or some other remote desktop service? Too bad it ain't got no GBit
Ethernet, though.

Why does a development machine node need a head? Build farm does nicely.
My dual LCDs have four video inputs (2x DVI and 2x VGA), that does plenty for
PC dual head, a HDTV DVD and a Mini.

> environment, and they're probably right.  For those of us that work on
> laptops, that's not an option -- would  VNC be a good alternative to a
> hardware KVM switch?

VNC is thoroughly obsolete. FreeNX rock totally.

> Also, I suspect that it will be popular as a demo machine since you
> can could carry it and a small video projector without risking a
> hernia.

Speaking of which, have you see the solid-state (DMD with LED lamp) one? Two
different ones have been demoed (it's CES, isn't it?).