[FoRK] The US media

Gordon Mohr gojomofork at xavvy.com
Fri Jan 14 21:58:14 PST 2005

This is a followup story with more color and detail; witness its
narrative-style opening which takes many paragraphs to get to its
main topic, charting flaws.

The original NYT reporting was on Tuesday (after a brief wire
report on Sunday before the fatality was known):

   http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/11/national/11nuke.html

   Navy Says Sub Hit Mountain That Was Not on Its Charts
   By CHRISTOPHER DREW
   Published: January 11, 2005

   A nuclear attack submarine that ran aground Saturday in
   the South Pacific, killing one sailor and injuring 23
   others, appears to have smashed into an undersea mountain
   that was not on its charts, Navy officials said yesterday.

That article was the breaking news, starting with the most
prominent facts: the death and injuries.

- Gordon