[FoRK] binary XML

Gavin Thomas Nicol gtn at rbii.com
Wed Jan 19 09:16:59 PST 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 5:51 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> http://uk.builder.com/architecture/web/0,39026570,39233479,00.htm

FWIW. Rick and I said many times that XML-RPC like things would cause a
slow down. This was based on some pretty exhaustive testing I did back
in like '96 or so, where I found that the main problem was not the
overhead of parsing XML, but the cost in packet size. With traditional
RPC mechanisms, the probability that a message will arrive in one or
two TCP/IP packets is very high, with SOAP/XML-RPC, it's practically
nil. That means that especially over long distances, the probability of
performance degradation is much higher... each hop can potentially make
things worse, and certainly will in somewhat unreliable networks.

I noted ages ago that XML-based messaging essentially skews the
technology needed toward coarse-grained asynchronous communications,
rather than the more traditional RPC approaches. Sadly, many of the
first-generation WS applications aren't architected that way.