[FoRK] Bye bye bye Roe v. Wade

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 19 12:47:24 PST 2005

I agree with you, if you'll allow me. ;-) I would point out that the
'work' that the male is still on the hook for involves support and, in
many cases, providing a life for the mother. Arguably the mother pays
bigtime up front, but males in developed countries are responsible to
the level of their achievement in life. The opposite problem of women
getting pregnant on purpose or carelessly without consent of the male
has no support for solutions, although in this age of safe sex it's more
avoidable.

It might harm the woman? And pregnancy is guaranteed not to? Not even
psychologically?
Pure nonsense.
If I have a growth on my body I don't want, I have it removed
immediately. And I have. Doctors don't even bother telling me that I
might get an infection and die; it's obvious.

Not to mention that it's quite legal to do many things that might harm
you: smoking, drinking, driving, walking, skydiving, flying an airplane,
inline skating through downtown traffic (ok, that's technically illegal
in DC, although we have cops and lawyers with us sometimes), etc.

Of course, I'm against laws prohibiting using a cell phone while
driving. If I can multitask safely, why shouldn't I be able to?
I've always used a headset since phones had jacks, so I suppose I'm
already complying with most of the laws.

What is it with California's laws prohibiting wearing headphones while
riding a bicycle? (Can you run or inline skate with headphones??) That's
just too much. (I was stopped with a warning on a bike in Berkeley in
1994...)

You can't make the world completely safe, and you shouldn't really try
beyond obvious situations. I'm all for industrial controls on machines
that could crush or mince your hands some day, but when you are spending
millions of dollars or hours of people's lives to save one life, things
are way out of wack. If driving 55 instead of 75 saves 1 life per
million hours driven, is it really worth it?

As for abortion, people are just irrational about life, the universe,
and everything, especially religion and other mystical
psycho-components. (Now that's a fun/sad double-entendre.)

sdw