[FoRK] Bye bye bye Roe v. Wade

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 19 13:59:47 PST 2005

I know that's the rationale, but for a bicycle, I'm not going to inflict
damage on anything else in the street so it's only protecting me.
Headphones of the lightweight, sports kind do not block out surrounding
sound, at least not nearly as much as any vehicle with the windows closed.
If you have the radio on and the windows closed in a car, especially if
the car is fairly soundproofed and the music is loud, you can only hear
really loud sounds and even then you often can't be sure if it's real or
in the music.

A far better restriction would have been sound level in vehicles for
teenagers.

I read the entire Virginia code a few years ago (but I didn't have a
full set of regulations) and there is nothing in there about headsets in
cars.  Besides, they're required now in many places to use a cell
phone.  What's the difference?

To draw some analogies as far as being a danger to yourself and not others:
You don't need a drivers license to drive motorcycles with less than
50ccs.  In the past these were weak and slow, but I know someone who,
because they won't get their license back for a while, just bought a
"Replica" model that looks just like a slightly small 'crotch rocket'
and he's had it up to 70MPH on the highway.
You don't need a pilot's license to fly an ultralight plane and the
license for a glider is very simple and with no medical requirements.
Skydiving, scuba diving, racetrack driving, hunting are all legal.

sdw