[FoRK] Bye bye bye Roe v. Wade

mattj at newsblip.com mattj at newsblip.com
Wed Jan 19 14:28:55 PST 2005

> I know that's the rationale, but for a bicycle, I'm not going to inflict
> damage on anything else in the street so it's only protecting me.

Your bike will not directly crush anyone.  But if you are in the road, and
become enmeshed in a dangerous situation, a car may swerve to avoid you, etc.
This is not a concern when one is on a sidewalk.

> Headphones of the lightweight, sports kind do not block out surrounding sound

I'm not sure about that.  I think it depends on what you're listening too, how
loudly, and how fast your bike is moving (e.g., wind noise), though I admit I
never listen to music while biking, so I am just guessing.

> If you have the radio on and the windows closed in a car, especially if
> the car is fairly soundproofed and the music is loud, you can only hear
> really loud sounds and even then you often can't be sure if it's real or
> in the music.

I already conceded that.  But you seem to see it as showing that rules for cars
are also a waste.  I see it as showing that rules for cars probably aren't
strict enough.  If someone is cranking the radio in a well-insulated car, that
makes them a somewhat more dangerous driver.

> full set of regulations) and there is nothing in there about headsets in
> cars.  Besides, they're required now in many places to use a cell
> phone.  What's the difference?

The relevant differences between headsets and headphones are:

1. You only put a headset into one ear, not two.

2. You don't crank up the volume on headsets as you do for music.

3. A cell phone conversation does not have constant background sound, as most
music does; talking is intermittent, allowing external sounds in.

Maybe a solution lies in something like noise cancelling technology.  Add a
feature to the (well-insulated) car which samples external sounds and hides the
background traffic noise.  Only honks, shrieking brakes, voices, etc. make it
through, and are played on internal speakers at appropriate volume.  You'd
never hear anything until you need to.

-Matt Jensen
 Seattle