[FoRK] Bye bye bye Roe v. Wade

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Jan 19 15:30:16 PST 2005

mattj at newsblip.com wrote:

>>full set of regulations) and there is nothing in there about headsets in
>>cars.  Besides, they're required now in many places to use a cell
>>phone.  What's the difference?
>>

>The relevant differences between headsets and headphones are:
>
>1. You only put a headset into one ear, not two.

Au contraire, I have used these (or older versions) off and on for
several years:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=43-1961
For weak phone connections, multi-party multi-country conferences, etc.
it works very well.

>2. You don't crank up the volume on headsets as you do for music.

I do usually keep it loud.

>3. A cell phone conversation does not have constant background sound, as most
>music does; talking is intermittent, allowing external sounds in.

That's a good point.

>Maybe a solution lies in something like noise cancelling technology.  Add a
>feature to the (well-insulated) car which samples external sounds and hides the
>background traffic noise.  Only honks, shrieking brakes, voices, etc. make it
>through, and are played on internal speakers at appropriate volume.  You'd
>never hear anything until you need to.

The same thing would be useful on a music headset.  Someone might work
on if it they weren't outlawed.

sdw