[FoRK] Constable Bell on Road Safety and Pregnancy...

Ian Andrew Bell (FoRK) fork at ianbell.com
Wed Jan 19 16:00:27 PST 2005

On 19-Jan-05, at 3:30 PM, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

>> 3. A cell phone conversation does not have constant background sound,
>> as most
>> music does; talking is intermittent, allowing external sounds in.

The question is not one of acoustic bandwidth over time, but one of
attention span and our brain's bandwidth.  As an experiment, try
calling your girlfriend/wife/whatever while playing an online
multiplayer first-person shooter, such as BF1942 Desert Combat.  See
how good your kill ratio is.  Either your score, or your relationship,
will suffer a decline.

The only reason that we can get away with yakking on the phone in the
car is because it doesn't actually require that much attention -- for
those of us who are comfortable behind the wheel and are likely driving
on frequently traveled routes.  There are of course those among us who
should allocate as much attention as possible to the road and their
vehicle and for all of us, if we're talking on the phone we're less
adept at reacting to emergencies regardless of headphones, etc.
Effectively, so long as we're capable drivers and nothing unpredictable
happens, which it usually doesn't, we are OK.

British Columbia has a graduated licensing program.  It includes
limitations at various stages on driving at night, driving with
passengers, age of passengers, etc.  Perhaps BC should add a
stipulation for talking on phones only at the highest level.

Riding a bicycle or motorcycle requires much more care and attention in
traffic than driving a car does.  I think personal stereos and radios
should be illegal for all two-wheeled vehicles on the road.

As a driver who has thus far enjoyed a safe record I don't want to run
over some guy who was riffing out to Van Halen's "Unchained" and
installed himself, and his bicycle, as my new hood ornament.

That said, I don't know how any of this is analogous to a woman's right
to choose what happens to her body and the jesus jumpers attempting to
inflict their (a)moral views upon total strangers can kiss my fucking
ass.

STAY SAFE, KIDS!

-Ian.